Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Silkroad Journey

So...it all started with one little hank of this beautiful bunch,and the ultra cute OSW pattern. See the lovely green one? That's the one I'll be talking about.

I skipped school yesterday, just being plain lazy. It wasn't such a big deal because we're done with the school exam. And, can you believe it? I was actually running out of WIP! So what a girl to do? Cast on for more, of course.
There I was, being the lazy knitter that I am, I put it around my pillow while knitting(thanks to Tanti for the advice!).
I cast on confidently, without bothering to check the gauge and everything. Then, when I was about to knit the first stitch....*here's the horror part*...the yarn BREAKS. Can you believe it? I was a little shocked, but decided that it was just a little accident, or maybe that I pulled it too hard. So I cast on again, and was knitting happily for a few rows.
The yarn was sooo....soft and smooth. And the sheen....pretty, just pretty.
Then it came...the yarn BREAKS AGAIN. AGAIN, and AGAIN and AGAIN...
When I was done with the knitting part, I got this

People, that's a total of SIX breaks, 7 if you count the beginning. I'm sure as hell I didn't tug the yarn THAT hard. In fact, after that first break, I tried to be as gentle as possible. Now, I never thought that silk would be so...weak? delicate? vulnerable? I've never break yarn by hand before, except for when I was seaming Lucky, and I did pull really hard then.
So, well...this yarn without a doubt is beautiful and unique. But please, people, BE WARNED.
I'm not about to give it up though. And I've planned to try something else for the edging, other than the simple seed stitch.
It took my hours today to weave in those ends, they're pretty tricky to conceal, you know.
Ladies(and gentlemen), may I present.....Silky OSW!!

Here it is a little dressed up. Well...maybe not for you, but for me, black means dressed up. And to think that I my wardrobe consisted of only black, white and grey few years ago.....my black piece can be counted be fingers now(1 hand!).
And a close up of the crocheted scallop edging for the arms...

I was quite unsure about this, since it's quite big, not the small nice picot I initially wanted. And yeah, the yarn breaks once more time here. That makes it 8 times.
And here it is with a more cheerful(read : bright!) colour...

Please pretend that you don't see those bulges...*blush*
I still think that the finished shrug is lovely, even though I got the gauge wrong, and the whole thing didn't fit quite as nicely as my first one. And yeah, I think I can see more OSW coming in the future....
Note : I "accidentally" won another ebay auction, so I currently got a total of 2.6 kg of yarn coming my way. Not counting the 47 skeins from Jannete that's seems to disappear into thin air. I think I'll have to start selling part of my stash, since I can't take all of them back to Indonesia with me. Anyone interested?

12 comments:

knottyknitpicks said...

yuvee - your osw looks lovely!! i've been contemplating ordering this pattern....but i have to spend wisely since i don't have much extra money to spend. plus, i have some patterns that i just haven't gotten around to working on. i hope all is well with you!!

knitties said...

You're adorable! Love all your recent FOs :-)

tanti said...

love the green!! look and made people who seen it feel fresh :)

osw.. look cute too! :)

Laura.Y said...

I'm just as surpised as you are that the yarn broke. It's very fetching and I love the edging you did.

Anonymous said...

Hi yuvee!! Your Silky OSW looks totally cute!! I love the details, it looks very fancy and girly ^^... plus, congratulation on the details ^^! :D Hope seeing more pictures of your knittings!!!

Luvs, Sally

happyspider said...

aaw well done, thats so cute!!
that's weird that it broke.. maybe it was having a bad day?

Anonymous said...

I love your crochet edging, very pretty!

Anonymous said...

oooh, I'm so sorry that it broke so much, I've never known it to do that before. Let me send you a little something to make up for it, that shouldn't have happened :(

Unknown said...

Very nice OSW. I love the crocheted picot edging. What a brilliant idea. Great job girl!

Mimi said...

I didn't know that silk was so fragile but the effort was compensated by your pretty OSW. Love that green color.

Anonymous said...

beautiful OSW. I didn't have any problems with the silk breaking when I was knitting it... the only time it broke was when i was frogging it. sorry you had a hard time with it but your efforts were all worth it - your OSW looks great on you

Anonymous said...

I LOVE you OSW's. Especially the crochet edging! It is great to be abl to make it unique by changing the trim. I just finished my OSW & added a lace edging & I love it! I will knit another one!