Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Moroccan

It was recently brought to my attention by some knitter friends that it's been a while since I last updated (some subtle and not-so-subtle hints were dropped). So I came back and found that my blogger account had been suspended! I guess it has been a while....
Then I found a draft that I never get around to post of pictures from my trip to Morocco, so here it goes.
IMG_1447
Hats in the souk (traditional market). I don't think they're knitted, look more like crochet though I'm not entirely sure...
IMG_1253
It's a dye bath the traditional way! I doubt our indie dyers do it this way :)
IMG_1251
There's wool hanging all over the street!
IMG_1210
Camel bone table and chairs set, so beautifully handcrafted.
IMG_0181
At a rest stop on our way to Essaouira (coastal town west of Morocco), I saw a local woman who's guarding the toilet knitting. So I pulled out my knitting to show them and they got really excited (Tres bien Madame!) and passing it around to each other. One of the women went to get something, and right at this moment my friend came out of the loo. The woman proceeded to take off my friend's jacket, much to my friend's puzzlement. She then pulled out this knitted outfits and put it on my friend. It's a dress and cardigan suit with really interesting details, the dress is knitted sideways with short rows and in stripes! Thankfully my friend Maja is a good sport and she let me took a few pictures while she models for me. It always amazes me how knitting can link people through all boundaries.
And if you're wondering, yes, this all took place in front of the toilets.

Well, right at the end of that trip, the Auto Focus on my Canon 450 D stopped working. I still have no idea why and would have to take it to a shop to figure out what's wrong with it. So I guess that's my excuse for this hiatus!
Hopefully I'll be back soon to keep you updated on what I've been up to since my last post!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thats such a great story about th eknitting ladies and their stuff on your friend! Nice to read you!

opportunityknits said...

Yuvee!!! Glad to see you're doing ok.
The hats look like crochet. I've seen that stitch before but can't remember what it's called.